Sandwiched between the Mall and Pall Mall, close to Trafalgar Square, 24 Carlton House Terrace is the latest property awarded to CEM by Residential Management Group (RMG). This continues a CEM relationship with employees of RMG that goes back to 1993. CEM is looking after the communal plant room.
However, the history of the street goes back to the 18th century at least. 1 Carlton House Terrace replaced an earlier structure known as Carlton House, famously occupied by the Prince Regent for several decades from 1783. Overlooking St James’s Park. Carlton House Terrace was designed by architect John Nash. After the Prince Regent became King George IV in 1820 he decided he wanted a grander residence. Rebuilding and refurbishing Carlton House was considered but instead Buckingham House was rebuilt and later became Buckingham Palace. Carlton House was subsequently demolished and replaced by two large white stucco terraces known as Carlton House Terrace in 1830. In the 1860s the buildings were broken up into several different private residences. This a picture of part of the John Nash buildings in the street:
Then on the 10th October 1940, at around 12am, a high explosive bomb struck the north eastern end of No’s 19-21 Carlton House Terrace. No casualties were reported. Five days later – at 2.05am on 15th October 1940 – a bomb hit 1 Carlton House Terrace.
In 1969 the site of Numbers 19-21 Carlton House Terrace was cleared. The address is now occupied by British Council offices and 7 luxury apartments that is now No. 24.
The street has had some famous residents: Duke of Norfolk, Napoleon Bonaparte (pictured above) Lord Northcliffe, Viscount Palmerston, William Gladstone, Duke of Marlborough, members of the Guinness family and more recently the four Hindujas brothers (picture below of their dining room).
Contract Energy Management Limited was formed in 1993 and its two founding Directors are still running the company. For all of the company’s existence the core business has been looking after communal plant rooms like the ones serving this property.
CEM provide planned preventative maintenance contracts, remedial works and complete plant room refurbishments. On the latter we work closely with a range of M&E consultants and also offer a full Design & Build service. A more recent development has been CEM’s partnership with the global leading manufacturer of plate heat exchangers, Alfa Laval, who appointed CEM an Authorised Service Partner three years ago and more recently a Distributor of their HVAC products.
The Alfa Laval relationship has enabled CEM to develop business with leading players in the district heating scheme arena – e.g. Engie, E.on and Mace. In addition, utilising Alfa Laval solutions to provide extremely efficient and cost-effective hot water solutions to a range of clients. In 2018 to date this includes a major refurbishment of Reddam School in Wokingham, St George’s Hill Golf Club in Weybridge and 22-23 Down Street, Mayfair. Currently work is underway to completely refurbish the plants rooms within three large residential blocks in Eton College Road, NW3.
By Admin|2022-07-19T11:29:18+01:00June 3rd, 2018|PPM|